Ranga once told me that he preferred the cheapest quality ball point pens for his work. The good ones according to him, work too well. The ink flows smoothly and you get an even line. The cheap ones however tend to clog, creating uneven densities of ink on the paper. These ragged lines are tremendously useful in achieving a range of textures and effects that clean pens simply can't achieve.

What he is talking about is the Dry Brush technique of course. The technique works well with watercolour, but works even better with viscous media like acrylics, oils and Indian Ink. The idea is to release all the loaded colour in the brush until there is nothing left. When you create a brush stroke what you get is an uneven and inconsistent stoke of colour. This sort of stroke is great for creating texture that a loaded brush simply cannot.

So today's daily assignment is to experiment with the dry brush technique. Here is one of Himanshu's early experiments.

and a video to set the mood...

Experimenting with Dry Brush strokes...

A full blown portrait...

and here are some dry brush images I found online.

Used delicately and slowly the dry brush can achieve startling and realistic effects.

Or when used in rapid strokes can give your paintings an unmatched dynamism.

You can see it in Diego Velasquez's work

and even today in contemporary drawings!

Happy Drawing y'all!

Views: 994

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us George.
Here are my sum mor Dry brush portraits.
http://penciljammers.com/photo/dry-brush-hemanth?xg_source=activity

my try on acrylics dry brush

LOvely....work

.parani.I.liked...d.hair

the tree and grass r done v drybrush technique

RSS

Events

Members

Love drawing? you're at the right place, Penciljammers is a community of people, just like you. Grab your sketchbook and join us.

© 2019   Created by Pencil Jam.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service