Early this morning there was an email waiting for me. It was fromthis guy and it was a suggestion for today's theme, and what a fantastic theme it is.

John James Audubon was an ornithologist, naturalist and painter among numerous other things. What is of tremendous fascinationis that he too was a jammer! John drew to study, observe and document and dear god... how he did it! His drawings were finally transferred onto copper plate for etching, which explains the delicate line quality in his drawings.

You will notice that he didn't just study and draw birds, but carefully designed the composition to allow for behavioral detail to shine through.

Today's daily drawing is a celebration of Audubon. Find a photograph of a bird, study it and reproduce it in a way that would make John James proud.

Check out some of his work...

And a huge file so you can zoom in... and another one for luck,here...

Many thanks Anil, for this awesome theme.

Views: 1405

Replies to This Discussion

I gave this a shot. This is the bald eagle. 

I created a pencil sketch from a Google image. And I altered the colours and created a sky to set the bird against all in Gimp.

I love this family of birds... they glide through the sky in a way that makes me wants wings :)!

When you click on it you realise just how much detail you've put into it.  Nice one. If you still have the xcf file try making the body under the wing a lil bit darker...
Right! I know the light & shadow...ain't perfect. That's something I've been trying to get right for sometime now :)!
Beautiful
Lovely work. The pale background and the minimal use of colour makes it easier to focus on the bird and the details.
Beautiful! A really majestic sight! Love the graphic style.

nice!

Here's a part of a Wedge Tailed Eagle for John James Audubon's 226th. 

I love the eyes. Very nice
Very classy!
Excellent! Loved the glaze on the eye.
Lovely feather strokes! and that amazing eye!

RSS

Events

Members

Love drawing? you're at the right place, Penciljammers is a community of people, just like you. Grab your sketchbook and join us.

© 2019   Created by Pencil Jam.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service