A community for people who love the Visual Arts
Hello Bangalore Jammers,
this is a call for suggestions of venues for the weekend Jams. There are a few considerations:
1. The place should be relaxed and NOT crowded. Many jammers are new to drawing, sometimes bring family along and are not comfortable with gawkers, crowds and suchlike.
2. It should be publicly accessible, and we should not have to move out mid-jam because someone doesn't want us on their property.
3. It should be a location that people without personal transport should access easily. (On special occasions we have gone to Nandi hills or the zoo, but this is with a lot of planning!)
Ashte! Please list your suggestions below.
(Many thanks to Prabal for bringing this up!)
I don't know if you guys have done sankey tank? Its a lovely place, ample space to spread out and sit. cormorants, ducks, bamboo and people. Only thing they close @ 10 in the morning, and reopen in the evening around 4. Other places i thunk of were- Malleshwaram flower market, Gandhi Bazaar and bugle rock park- Basavanagudi.
1) airport - Good connectivity by Volvo buses, nice place to sit in front of the coffeeday to sketch/draw
2) Between hebbal and Manyata, there is a park with a small lake. i think it is called rajkumar park. Once again good connectivity by ring road buses, but crowd could a big problem
1) Cubbon park near to the aquarium area.
2) tippu palace in market .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipu_Sultan%27s_Summer_Palace
3) Bull temple http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Temple
Bangalore Main Railway station
Yashwantpur rly stn
VV Puram - Sajjan Rao Circle
Ramanjaneya Temple Complex Basavanagudi
gavi gangadhareswara temple complex
Any of the malls
Bangalore Club (I can try to get permission, not guarranteed)
Indian Christian Cemetery
Lalbag hillock (One of the oldest rock formations in the world 3 bn years)
Madhavan Park + Rani Chennamma Sports Complex + Jayanagar Park (All adjacent to one another)
(Disclaimer: I am NOT trying to organise Jams near my place. These are the areas that I know well! :-) )
Near the Tippu palace mentioned by Babu are An old Venkateswara temple, Minto Eye Hospital, Fort High School, Kannada Sahitya Parishat all immensely sketchable buildings.
The Tank near Manyata is called Lumbini Gardens (I will not come this one, I will feel I am going to work! I Work in Manyata. :( Just kidding :) )
Vittal Mallya road..
and now since flower show is starting , Lal Bagh would also be a considerable option.
Arre gaaowaalon!!!... Please suggest some good places near Whitefield area too...... each time its in Cubbon park or Lalbagh or Museum, or CKP...I have to drive some 20+ kilometers.
I am pretty new to Bangalore, so am not aware much...but Bangaloreans please help here. Although I try and find some places nearby too... but any suggestions near HAL or Marathalli will also be good enough! By the way, theres a Varthur lake nearby...seems to be big on the map... any idea how it is or whether it can be a spot or not?
Thoda mujhpe raham karo bhaiyon aur aap ki behnon! ;) ))) !!!
I ditto that :-) :-p
How about any old firestations?
I remember there being a deserted firestation with lots of fire engines adjacent to Hyderabad Central(MG Road one)
There is a small forest area (maintained by Govt) opposite the ITPL, Whitefield, it is really nice place to sketch.
Hanuman temple in Mahalakshmi layout. It has a good view of the Iskon temple & there is a nice park next to it.
Shiva temple, behind old Kids kemp on old airport road
Ramakrishna Ashram, Bull temple road.
Cariappa park, M G Road.
Veterinary College @ Hebbal, just after Mekhri Circle. Its a great place to sketch, with lotsa trees amidst natural surroundings. There's a huge playground inside, which sees a lot of 'weekend cricketers and footballers' playing friendly matches side-by-side, on sunday mornings :) Great for sports action sketches. No permission is required to enter or sketch. There are direct buses to the place (Veterinary college stop, Ganganagar/Hebbal)
Adyar Anand Bhavan is just a 5-mins walk down the road, for a great breakfast or lunch, Chennai style! :)
Oh, and the place houses CUPA and SPCA. If permission can be obtained, we could sketch all those doggies n kitties, cows, rabbits, birds and what not. Those kittens up for adoption (at any time) are simply ADORABLE!
how about itc infotech park?